I fail to understand why mp3 players are so disdainful of folders. I used Windows Explorer to drag-and-drop a few music folders to my iPod. Worked as expected. However, when I searched for the files on my iPod, they were nowhere to be found.
As it turns out, you can’t import music files this way. You either need iTunes or a software crafted for the task. Luckily, MediaMonkey does the job with effortless ease. Importing done, I could find my files.
Here’s the problem I now face. I have a rather extensive archive by now and many of the files have incomplete, missing or flawed ID3 tags. Since the player finds files based on these tags, it often becomes very difficult to zero in on your choice. Keith Jarrett is all numbers and blanks to my iPod! You can imagine how harrowing a time I had ‘unearthing’ him.
Manually feeding the tags would take ages. Some research done, I learnt two ways of automating the task: freeDB and MusicBrainz, the latter being preferred. I experimented with Picard, a dedicated MusicBrainz client, and was very impressed.
I hope folders are supported in the near future.